Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Oregon Trail

On the drive between Baker City and Halfway, we have been passing a very nice Oregon Trail Interpretive Center for the past 15 years or so without ever stopping.  Now that Olivia is 8 years old (and reading Little House On The Prairie) we thought it was about time we visited.  And...maybe we could find some information about our wagon wheel.  

First we decided to check out the wagons on display


These wheels are too small and too wide.  I guess we need to keep looking!

More pictures of wagons, and of us enjoying the wagons





This is the view of Baker City from the Interpretive Center


Next we went inside to see what we could find.  Here are some life-sized displays of life on the Oregon Trail.


Hey!  Look at this


Our wheel is the same shape and size as the wheels on the handcart!  

On the way back to Halfway, we stopped to view the wagon ruts.  These are actual ruts made by the wagons and carts traveling the Oregon Trail, and are still visible today.


It was a pretty powerful experience to see a glimpse of such an important part of our history.  If you are ever in the Baker City area and have the opportunity to visit this Interpretive Center, take it.  I guarantee you will enjoy it.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, my! I haven't been there in over 10 years! Wow. I think I would appreciate it much more today. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete