I've often wondered about the city of Halfway--specifically where did it get it's name? I have heard many different explanations over the years, all having something to do with Halfway being 'halfway' between two cities or landmarks. Today I noticed a little historical paragraph in the back of the local phone book. Indeed the town started as a post office halfway between the towns of Pine and Cornucopia. Originally the application for the post office listed the name as Midway, but when they received notice of approval from the Postmaster General, the name was mistakenly granted as Halfway. I guess nobody bothered to correct it. Also, the current location of Halfway is not halfway between Pine and Cornucopia. It was moved sometime shortly after the turn of the century-- and I guess nobody bothered to correct that either.
Anyway, it is a delightful little town (appx. 350 people). Here is the view down main street. Notice the lack of a stoplight.
The grocery store (one of two, the other is directly across the street).
The bar/restaurant (one of two, the other is also across the street) where we had lunch. Note: The pine siding on the front is from a tree that was in Ginnie's yard.
The Presbyterian church.
The bank
The co-op where you buy gas
Spending time in a tiny little town like Halfway really forces you to slow down. It has been good for all of us!








No comments:
Post a Comment