Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Gold In Them Thar Hills

In the 1880's until the early 1940's, the Wallowa mountains housed the Cornucopia Mining Group--one of the more successful gold producing mining operations in the US.  The  city of Cornucopia supported the more than 700 miners and their families until the mines closed in 1943.  Once a booming town with hotels, schools, churches and even a movie theater, now only remnants remain.  The ghost town sits amid modern vacation homes and lodges and small cabins used by winter snowmobilers and horseback trail riders.

We took the 12 mile drive up a dirt road to see what we could find.  This is a view from a meadow near the old town.  The Wallowa Mountain Range is the in the background.


 Some of the remaining structures






Even an old car




I spy a deer



I'm hoping Olivia is beginning to enjoy the rich history of this area as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment