Here is a view from 3 windows of the car
We stopped at the tiny town of Chama, NM, which was basically a visitor's center, a gas station (or two) and a tiny grocery store. We decided to stop, get some tourist info and take a little break at the visitor's center. I got out of the car and I think I got sucked into a time warp.
This is why
The moment this beauty pulled up the weather became a little eerie (see clouds) and I could hear 50's jukebox music in the air. I never did figure out where the music was coming from. It was a little "Twin Peaks" for those of you who are old enough to recognize the reference. The gentleman driving was wearing a brown jumpsuit and 70's vintage trucker cap. When he opened the door of the trailer there were hand made curtains the exact color of the truck, along with a matching throw rug (see also the bathmat on the little step stool). It was adorable! I overheard him telling someone that the trailer was a '68 and he was the original owner. I didn't hear what he said about the Suburban, but what I do know is that I LOVE IT!
Impressive scenery

All of a sudden it looks like Utah!
It's becoming a little desert-like again
Long day

And then....all of a sudden it's Santa Fe!

We have never been to Santa Fe before, so we were excited to see what we would find.
It is a beautiful, beautiful historic city with an artsy vibe. Unfortunately it was extremely crowded (tons of tourists), we were having difficulties finding parking, and we had no idea how to find someplace to eat that would let us bring Holly. So, we grabbed some McDonald's and took a quick look around and breezed right through. Another place we will be coming back to. Without a dog. Possibly without a child. We'll see.
I'm not kidding about the weird weather. Trucks and motorcycles were pulling off the road ahead of us because of the wind. It was raining so close to us that it looked like you could almost touch it. But, we didn't really get wet. Again.

It was uniquely beautiful

Once we found out Holly isn't allowed in National Parks, Mesa Verde and Carlsbad Caverns both had to be eliminated from the itinerary. We had to quickly rearrange things to come up with someplace along our route that we would all enjoy--and could accommodate the dog.
ROSWELL!





No comments:
Post a Comment